Splitting out a KX11Extras frameworks from KWindowSystems

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Sep 16 13:07:37 UTC 2013

Hi,

KWindowSystems is a framework which looks to me like a KX11Extras framework.
Most of the things inside this framework are X11 specific. Some API even has
XLib/XCB specific data types as arguments or return values (e.g. netwm.h). The
only class which has a non-X11 implementation is KWindowSystem and
KWindowInfo, but also those are highly X11 inspired.

My suggestion would be to create a new tier1 framework KX11Extras which
contains:
* fixx11h.h
* KManagerSelection
* KStartupInfo
* KXMessages
* NETwm

The KWindowSystems framework would need to become a tier2 framework and as
it needs to depend on NETwm (X11 implementation uses it and the defines are
used). It would contain:
* KKeyServer
* KWindowEffects (this could also stay in X11Extras)
* KWindowInfo
* KWindowSystem

Opinions?

Cheers