kinterprocesswindowing, drop it or not?

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Sep 12 14:31:20 UTC 2013

On Thursday 12 September 2013 16:18:12 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started working on the KInterProcessWindowing (kiw) framework, which is
> expected to go into tier2 because it depends on KWindowSystem (tier1).
>
> kiw is made of two set of files:
>
> kmessagebox_kiw.*: KMessageBox functions to show message boxes on top of
> foreign windows. Depends on KWindowSystem.
>
> usertimestamp.*: Two functions which used to be in KApplication.
>
> kmessagebox_kiw.* depends on KWindowSystem because it uses one function:
> KWindowSystem::setMainWindow(), which I proposed a fix for [1]. That got me
> thinking: Since KWindowSystem::setMainWindow() will now (assuming my request
> is merged) be effectively 4 lines of pure Qt code, would it be better to
> just duplicate those 4 lines and move kmessagebox_kiw.* to kwidgetsaddons?
> This would make it easier to reduce the massive code duplication between
> kwidgetsaddons/src/kmessagebox.* and kmessagebox_kiw.*.
>
> Furthermore, if usertimestamp.* were moved to KWindowSystem, then the whole
> kiw framework could be dropped.
Independent on what will be done with the messageboxes I'm for moving the
usertimestamp to KWindowSystem as that's the framework where we have all the
X11 specific code lying around. As a matter of fact I also just opened a review
to fix that one (thanks Aurélien for making me aware of that code).

Cheers
Martin