KCompletion and KNotification

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Sep 8 08:35:15 UTC 2013

On Thursday 05 September 2013 19:34:36 Aleix Pol wrote:
> Hi,
> KCompletion now depends on KNotification, I'd suggest to remove that
> dependency (I can do it myself).
>
> At the moment it's generating quite a bit of DBus noise even though it's
> not being consumed anywhere I could find.
> It's used both in KHistoryBox and KCompletion. If you want to test it, you
> can play with KRunner.
>
> Additionally, this would make KCompletion tier2.

The DBus noise is due to the way knotification currently works (anything that
-might- be configured to trigger a notification is sent via dbus to the
knotify daemon which then looks at the configuration). Same problem with
konversation sending every single line people say on IRC, over dbus.
This has to be fixed by rewriting knotification (Sune? Any progress?), but is
independent from the issue here.

The events would be consumed by knotify if 1) you had it running in your kf5
dbus session and 2) you had configured some notification to happen for these
events, in the notifications KCM.

All this being said: notifications on completion are indeed off by default, so
I wonder if anyone actually turns them on. Getting a sound every time there is
no item in a completion would irritate the hell out of me. Well, more
generally, any sound coming from a computer (apart from jazz music) irritates
me (and the people around me), so I'm probably not the best person to ask ;)
Notifications can be other things than sounds, but who wants a popup every
time the completion finds no results? Urgh.

So, all in all, I'm actually in favour personally, but I would like to know
what Sune and Aurélien think, at least.