Using KSSLSettings from KHTML

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Oct 30 15:45:35 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 29 October 2013 15:22:18 David Edmundson wrote:
> Currently KHTMLPart uses KSSLSettings from KIOCore
>
> It uses the methods:
> warnOnUnencrypted
> setWarnOnUnencrypted
>
> This class does not have the header exported in KIOCore, so whilst it
> builds now it will fail when we split.
>
> The CMakeLists.txt file of KIOCore has a comment
>   kssl/ksslsettings.cpp          # temporary (used by tcpslavebase)
>
> which implies there's a plan to remove it?

It was the initial plan, but it doesn't look like this is progressing.
The only way to move forward with the plan (= getting rid of KTcpSocket) is to
add to Qt's SSL code the missing features, such as management of user
certificates.

> I assume it's being replaced by qsslconfiguration, but this doesn't
> cover this particular function.

Right, there's nothing in Qt about user-settings like "warn when doing this or
that". And actually it probably doesn't belong there. Now that you mention it,
we have the GUI for this in KDE, we should have the settings too, it makes
sense, especially as long as Qt itself doesn't even have any code related to
triggering such warnings for the user.
But even if it does one day, the handling of user settings will probably stay
on our side (different Qt apps might have different needs - and different
settings).

> How should I proceed?
>
> My options are:
>  - install ksslsettings.h in kiocore

Yes, I now think this is the best option.

If you have time, could you move all private members to the d pointer?