Use of the WIN32 executable property

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Oct 27 09:41:38 UTC 2013

On Friday 25 October 2013 14:19:49 Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> 2013/10/25 David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
> > On Wednesday 02 October 2013 23:52:08 Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> >> In fact, I wonder if we should make all tests console applications by
> >> default (in ecm_mark_as_test?)...
> >
> > All unittests, yes.
> >
> > But interactive test apps are really just normal test apps, there's no
> > reason for them to behave differently from actual apps.
>
> Many interactive test apps communicate via console messages, or expect
> command-line arguments and show help on the console if you don't pass
> any.

Many as in, more than one, quite possibly.
But the majority? I'm not sure.
It's my impression that most of them just pop up a window to show a given
widget.
Example: tier3/ktextwidgets/tests/ktextedittest
All the ones in xmlgui/tests iirc.

kcodecactiontest fits into your description though: it works without cmdline
args, but uses qDebug to tell you about the methods being called. This doesn't
technically require a terminal - one can use DebugView.exe to view debug
messages, or one can just run the app in QtCreator. But OK, a terminal doesn't
hurt and makes it a little bit more convenient.

I withdraw my objection then, I guess. Let them have a console, for easier
debugging.