Config files naming policy

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Oct 23 08:32:24 UTC 2013

On Monday 21 October 2013 12:03:37 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since we are now sharing the locations of our configs with non-kde software,
> we can potentially get collisions with those.
>
> I'm proposing changing the names of the config files to org.kde.something
> (or some other alternative).

~/.config/konquerorrc ? I don't see a problem here.

We have to cohabit in bin/ anyway :

Take the case where KDE and another project both named a program
"systemsettings".
You want to solve the clash on ~/.config/systemsettingsrc  --- but what about
the clash on /usr/bin/systemsettings?

If you solve the latter by renaming one of the binaries, the clash on the
config file gets solved immediately anyway.