Porting away from KLocale

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Thu Oct 17 21:30:49 UTC 2013

On 17 October 2013 01:51, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was trying to port some application to Qt/KF5, then I realized that I
> didn't know how to port KLocale::formatByteSize. I don't see anything in
> QLocale for this, so I feel a bit stuck. Also I don't see any information in
> KDE5Porting.html
>
> Anybody has an idea of what's the solution?

Hi,

Byte size formatting is not available in Qt, nor natively on any other
platform or ICU/CLDR.  It was the one thing in KLocale we needed to
keep and I think Steve (?) at some stage was looking at breaking it
out as a separate utility class.

Someone recently submitted a patch to Qt for just this, but Thiago
quickly rejected it do to several issues, mostly that there's no
standard way of doing it across all platforms.  There's a small chance
it could get in to 5.3, but it's not a high priority for Qt right
now..

Cheers!

John.