Porting notice: kDebug and qDebug need to go to qCDebug.

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 19:58:51 UTC 2013

Hi all,

After today' frameworks meeting we (mostly David Faure and Kai Koehne)
discussed the categorized debugging support that is new in Qt 5.2.

I've written a detailed wiki page to layout the current status of
categorized debugging in Qt 5.2 and what we still need (and is coming)
in Qt 5.3. You can find that here [1].

For everyone. If you start a new port then please port the
kDebug/qDebug lines to qCDebug and set a category that makes sense.
Using numbers for the category string is not appreciated! Usually a
category is just the name of the application, library or even the
class if you go very detailed. The wiki [1] also contains an example
for that.

Also, by default when porting to a qCDebug line with a category you
won't see log output because custom categories have everything
disabled by default. The wiki [1] tells you how to enable it.

Do you spot anything wrong on the wiki link mentioned a couple times
now? Feel free to change it, it's a wiki after all :)

Cheers,
Mark

[1] http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Porting_To_qCDebug