kio-related build error in plasma-framework

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Oct 7 17:07:59 UTC 2013

On Saturday 05 October 2013, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 04 October 2013 19:55:52 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Friday, October 04, 2013 17:56:52 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm getting a build error in a few places in plasma-framework, kio
> > > isn't found. I can't seem to figure out why, maybe someone who has a
> > > better overview of what in KIO is where, and what I need to tell cmake
> > > to figure this out?
> > >
> > > The error is:
> > > /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.7/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/
> > > ld: cannot find -lkio
> > > collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> > >
> > > Others reproduce it, too, so it's blocking us right now.
> >
> > It turns out that removing KDE4_KIO_LIBS from the linker targets it
> > needed to build.
>
> I'm seeing the same in other areas, e.g.
> kde-workspace/plasma/generic/wallpapers/image gives
>
> cannot find -lkio
> cannot find -lkfile
> cannot find -lknewstuff3
>
> It seems the -L pointing to the lib dir is missing, all of a sudden.

Usually there should be no -L, and no -l either (neither ?).
The libraries should be linked using their full path, e.g.
"/opt/kf5/libs/libkio.so".
AFAIk the only case where this is not done is if the library is loacted in one
of the system library directories, then cmake generates only "-lkio" and
relies on the directory being found automatically by the linker.

Alex