Review Request 113046: Move kconfigwidgets to tier3

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 09:09:59 UTC 2013

Aurélien Gâteau wrote:

> Move kconfigwidgets to tier3

When I suggested tiers, I proposed that tier2 frameworks could depend on
other tier2 frameworks.

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/67458/focus=67520
 http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/KDELibsModifications&oldid=55633

The reason for that is that the difference between one common-origin
dependency and zero common-origin dependencies is huge, whereas the
difference between one common-origin dependency and two common-origin
dependencies is tiny by comparison, from a pov of using something.

The common-origin point is important because it means that KF5::Something
version X.Y depends on KF5::Dependency version X.Y, which are released at
the same time. It doesn't matter that KArchive depends on zlib, because it
can probably work with a zlib released long ago and already widely
distributed.

When the repos are split, the difference between tier2 and tier3 will matter
even less. The kconfigwidgets framework will depend on another framework
which happens to have a tier2 label. That does not mean that kconfigwidgets
should get a tier3 label.

I suggest moving kconfigwidgets to tier2/ instead, and being clear that it
is ok for tier2 to depend on tier2.

Thanks,

Steve.