Optional QtGui dependency for KDBusAddons?

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Wed Nov 13 11:16:24 UTC 2013

On 13/11/13 05:38, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 November 2013 23:42:36 Alex Merry wrote:
>> > The latter is my personal preference (and I don't see any real issue
>> > with KDBusAddons optionally using something from Qt Essentials), but
>> > what are other people's thoughts?
> Could you explain why KDBusService has to care about the startupnotification
> at all? What would be the negative result if KDBusService doesn't handle it?
>
> Because I would say "let's ignore it, transit to DBus and call it a day".

Well, it's important for any application that specifies in its desktop
file that it deals with startup notifications.

Suppose you start a second instance of a Unique application.  The DE
running it doesn't necessarily know that it's the second instance or
that it's unique, so it does the startup notification thing.  *Someone*
should remove it; the Qt xcb plugin won't because the temporary second
instance never shows a window and the main instance doesn't get the
startup notification id.

Alternatively, if the app implements D-Bus Activation, the client can
pass the desktop startup notification ID via the D-Bus call.  The
application still has to remove it.

The other option, I guess, would be to put this in the API of
KDBusService: allow the application to set the startup notification ID
in the constructor, and send it out with the signals.

Or just ignore it and have no support for startup notifications in
Unique applications.

Alex