Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Nov 12 22:04:31 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 12 November 2013, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 November 2013 20:04:38 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> > On 2013-11-11, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > > would that work for everyone?
> >
> > I don't think it solves the actual hard point:
> >
> > Where should the final home for the stuff in ecm/kde-modules be ?
>
> Agreed. Although that's from the KF5 perspective, from Alex perspective it
> should solve *his* hard point which is "I want to release ECM soon".
>
> Turns out that both will be soon aligned as we have to get in release mode
> too in the next couple of weeks.
>
> > I'll like to reiterate what I suggested should happen with it:
> >
> > KDEInstallDirs.cmake :
> > Keep it as is, just like cmake has various FooInstallDirs, ecm can have
> > a it as well
> >

> > KDECMakeSettings.cmake :
> > Be renamed to Good2013CmakeWithQtDefaults and kind of lock it to its
> > current content. Patches can be formed in form of
> > Good2014CmakeWithQtDefautls
> >
> > It mostly contains stuff that I, if I_wasn't too lazy, would boilerplate
> > copy into all cmake+qt projects at work, for example.
> >

> > KDECompilerSettings.cmake :
> > Send 2/3 of it to the bitbucket. Rename the rest to
> > StrictQtCompilerSettings2013
> >
> > Maybe split the cmake defaults and compilersettings in two one Qt
> > specific that includes the non-qt-specific one.
> >
> > This could also be something to boilerplate include into many projects.
>
> If Alex is fine with that solution I admit it'd be my favorite path... I'm
> in the same situation of having quite some of the stuff I'd like to reuse
> in non- KDE projects too. Which is to me an indication it has value
> outside of KDE projects.

...as has any of the tier1 packages. ;-)

> The only exception being the install dirs indeed... It's then not a big
> deal to have this single, and rather stable, file in ECM IMO.
>
> Alex, opinions there?

If it's all inside ECM, the name and directory doesn't matter much. You can
use it in KDE-projects and in non-KDE projects. The "KDE" part in the name is
there to emphasize that this is stuff coming from KDE.
I don't see a problem in having "KDE" in the name of the files, i.e. I
wouldn't remove it, why should we hide it ?

Alex