kdelibs/interfaces/khexedit

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Nov 11 10:13:37 UTC 2013

On Sunday 10 November 2013 15:28:27 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Sunday 10 November 2013 11:15:58 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > >
> > > Yep, makes sense.
> > >
> > > I'll just delete interfaces/khexedit then, thanks for the input.
> >
> > Btw, this is basically the same solution as we take with KTextEditor: The
> > KTextEditor interfaces are not part of some other module anymore. Instead
> > they are directly shipped with Kate Part for KF5. This makes sense for the
> > simple reason that there is no other KTextEditor implementation than Kate
> > Part (for 10 years now). From this perspective. The same basically holds
> > for Okteta imo: If you need a hex editor component, just state that as
> > dependency at compile time and all is fine.
> >
> > So as I see it, removing interfaces/khexedit is the right way to go :-)
>
> Actually that's probably the way to go for the other interfaces too... Like
> the kspeech one.

Well, it's a bit different.

okteta provides a library that people can link to directly.
kspeech, on the other hand, is a daemon with a dbus interface.
The files in interfaces/kspeech are the dbus interface and a simple header to
define enum values. In a sense *that* is the library (but it doesn't even need
a .so). What I mean is, *that* is the "framework" that needs to be found at
compilation time.
But OK, the idea of frameworks is to bundle the compile-time bits with the
runtime bits, so what you're saying is, a kspeech framework should include
both this stuff and the daemon.
We could still start the framework with the compile-time bits for now, and add
the daemon later on, much like we plan to do with a lot of kde-runtime after
the kdelibs splitting.