kdelibs/interfaces/khexedit

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 10:15:58 UTC 2013

On Sunday 10 November 2013 09:47:41 David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 10 November 2013 04:32:12 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > Input welcome.
> >
> > Once upon a time those interfaces were invented to enable KPilot (yes,
> > those times) to be able to use the hexedit widget I did then, without
> > having these rather specific widget in kdelibs or having kdepim depend on
> > kdeutils (where the lib was then living hidden away in a khexedit subdir,
> > while not used by khexedit itself).
> >
> > These days I know of no other user besides KDevelop as well (somewhere in
> > the debugging area IIRC).
> > But it has been proposed to use the Okteta libs directly there, as the
> > Okteta libs are already used directly in another place in KDevelop (for
> > the
> > hex editing plugin). It just needs someone to do the coding.
>
> Ah, interesting.
>
> > So from my point of view, especially given the idea of KF5, I see no more
> > need for interfaces/khexedit. Rather do I see the Okteta libs themselves
> > (the core ones for simple widget things) one day being added to KF5, now
> > that things are modular :)
>
> Yep, makes sense.
>
> I'll just delete interfaces/khexedit then, thanks for the input.

Btw, this is basically the same solution as we take with KTextEditor: The
KTextEditor interfaces are not part of some other module anymore. Instead
they are directly shipped with Kate Part for KF5. This makes sense for the
simple reason that there is no other KTextEditor implementation than Kate
Part (for 10 years now). From this perspective. The same basically holds for
Okteta imo: If you need a hex editor component, just state that as dependency
at compile time and all is fine.

So as I see it, removing interfaces/khexedit is the right way to go :-)

Greetings,
Dominik