KEmailSettings and ksendbugmail

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Nov 4 10:24:37 UTC 2013

On Sunday 03 November 2013 13:05:09 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sunday 03 November 2013 10:14:57 David Faure wrote:
> > KEmailSettings has historically been in KIO.
> > It's however, just a bunch of KConfig calls.
> >
> > ksendbugmail is a separate program used by tier3/xmlgui/src/kbugreport.cpp
> > and it needs KEmailSettings (and in kde4 it didn't even link to kio for
> > that, it just compiled that file alone from the kio sources...).
> >
> > Any objections against moving KEmailSettings to KConfigCore?
> > Then I can move ksendbugmail to xmlgui and avoid an unwanted
> > xmlgui->kio dependency.
>
> Why not both in xmlgui? What else uses KEmailSettings?
>
> I know that dependency wise it can go in KConfigCore, I'm just wondering if
> it'll look out of place there.

KEmailSettings in xmlgui? This looks even stranger to me. It's not related at
all to the xmlgui technology (or in fact, to anything gui).

ksendbugmail is an SMTP client, it needs to read the config that holds your
email address and preferred smtp server - this is completely unrelated to
anything GUI, it definitely shouldn't have to link to xmlgui for this.
Neither should the imap and pop akonadi resources, or kio_smtp.

KEmailSettings definitely belongs to a "core" library, not to a "gui" one.