Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Nov 3 13:10:13 UTC 2013

On Friday 01 November 2013, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2013-11-01, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> > Anyway, attached is a quick experiment, which adds the 3 KDE*.cmake
> > files=
> >
> >  from=20
> >
> > extra-cmake-modules/ to kf5umbrella/, by that turning it into tier0/,
> > wit= h the=20
> > optional ability (-DWITH_ECM) to download ECM and install ECM when
> > buildi= ng=20
> > and installing kf5umbrella itself.
>
> gnuinstalldirs is in cmake. I'm sure that kdeinstalldirs can be in ecm
> without anyone think it looks weird. I'm not sure what that extra module
> buy us.

I also already thought about moving KDEInstallDirs.cmake maybe even into cmake
itself. But conceptionally they belong to KDE.

> > find_package(KF5Umbrella)
> > unconditionally loads KDECMakeSettings.cmake.
>
> no extra unconditional magic please. Our files should be understandable.
> I'm already lost 90% of the times I try to figure out how the cmake
> stuff is fit together.

I'm the last one you have to tell that.
As I said, the example was just a quick hack to see how it could work.

> > In case we decide to go this way (i.e. the "my ideal view" plus
> > optional=20 downloading), and we should hear Stephens opinion on that, I
> > volunteer to=
> >
> >=20
> >
> > maintain extra-cmake-modules, iff the three KDE*.cmake files are moved
> > ou= t of=20
> > ECM, and I'll move it to github, to make contributing by others easier.
>
> I think you mean to make contributing harder.
>
> Free software needs free tools!

Sure, but contributing to ECM as part of KDE is hard for people without KDE
account.
As things are going, I have the impression that hosting ECM in KDE is not good
if the goal is to provide a package with useful addons to cmake, usable by
non-KDE packages. This was my initial goal, and I was hoping this could be
done inside KDE.

Alex