Review Request 113510: Deprecate methods in kimageio

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sat Nov 2 22:36:03 UTC 2013

Moving this to the list.

On 02/11/13 19:36, David Faure wrote:
>     On November 2nd, 2013, 6:21 p.m. UTC, *Alex Merry* wrote:
>         Related question: would it make sense to try to implement this by directly enumerating the QImageIO plugins (and reading their JSON files)?  Possibly with some hacks for the built-in decoders.  Because it looks to me like we could then ditch the .desktop files for the plugins (including the ones for Qt's own plugins/built-in code).
>
> If we want to get rid of the .desktop files, why don't we just implement KImageIO on top of QImageReader/Writer, rather than duplicate its code?

Only that QImageReader/Writer do not make it easy to correlate mimetypes
and image format names.

> But in both cases we'll have an issue with the methods that work with old-style formats ("PNG") rather than mimetypes.

Isn't that exactly what the "keys" part of the JSON provides?  Of
course, there could be some case-sensitivity issues, but mostly easily
dealt with I think.

> Maybe it's simpler to just get rid of it all and force apps to port to QImageReader/Writer.
> Or just to keep the .desktop files for now :)

Keeping the desktop files is the easy short-term option; I'm just
thinking about ongoing maintainance (I've been working on cleaning the
plugins in kguiaddons, which is why it's on my mind).

Alex