Exceptions in KDE Frameworks

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Sat Nov 2 09:39:31 UTC 2013

> > AFAIK the only reason to avoid exceptions is an increase in code size,
> > which doesn't strike me as a strong problem in 2014. But on the other

Modern compilers tend to work very well with exceptions if those are used only
for error branches and not as goto statements :)

> If there are any concerns with this, please let me know. Since threadweaver
> jobs execute user code, it needs to at least be able to avoid blowing up.

The only problem with exceptions that I can recall is on windows*. There are
two different methods of propagating exceptions across library borders which
are incompatible (msvcc vs gcc).

If you are not planning to 'export' your exceptions, this should not be a
problem.

Cheerio,
Ivan

*  heard of it, never really used windows for c++ development

--
There are no such things as applied sciences, only applications of science.
  -- Louis Pasteur