Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Fri Nov 1 22:07:03 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-01, Mirko Boehm <mirko at kde.org> wrote:
> To me, "build systems should not download anything" sounds like a movie
> from the 80ies.

To me, "build systems fetches code and executes it" sounds like a bad
horror movie.

> For example, from a developers point of view, what is the difference between me
> pulling the ECM repo and CMake doing it automatically? A brain?

That you know it is going on.
That you know your build system is also going to work tomorrow in the
train.

And note, it is not only pulling. It is also cloning. Fetching stuff
from random places you haven't yet accepted is not good for anyones
internet security. We should not push such things forward.

> In my opinion, a central repository of community maintained find module
> packages has a chance of making a real difference.

Sure. And we have a central repository of community maintained find
modules. That's not part of the discussion.

If you want a tool that does all the magic for you, we have
kdesrc-build. And build-tool.

oh. and btw, you want to replace e-c-m with a 'fetch-ecm'-repository
that people needs to fetch first? why not just ask people to fetch ecm
in the first place?

/Sune