Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Nov 1 13:05:04 UTC 2013

On Friday 01 November 2013, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> On 11/01/2013 01:37 PM, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> >> if a package foo uses ecm (or that non existing tier0 cmake package)
> >> itself,

> > Well, if the tier 0 package contains the compiler settings for our
> > frameworks, it'd mean everything tier 1 and up would use it. The
> > alternatives right now being: duplicate the info or have it in
> > cmake/ecm.
> >
> > So far we chose the "have it in cmake/ecm" route. If we had what Mirko
> > refers to, then that'd open the door to another solution.
>
> Anyone up for hacking this up next week? I am available starting Monday
> afternoon.

as before, I have only some time in the evenings (and even less very soon).
What's the exact plan ?

One idea could be to have the "tier0" package, and have KDECMakeSettings.cmake
download/update ecm from git ?
CMake has execute_process() for that, and it has ExternalProject_Add(), which
is intended to pull in separate projects into a bigger project, e.g. using
git.
Or, this could be done as part of the "build step" of that tier0 package.
Then installing this tier0 package would mean pulling a version of ecm e.g.
from git, installing it somewhere, probably inside the tier0 install dir, and
providing the module dir if KDECMakeSettings.cmake is used.
Right now all components in KDECMakeSettings.cmake are optional and can be
disabled individually, this could also be done that way for an automatically
downloaded ecm.

Alex