Fwd: please make it easier to hack on frameworks

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Mon May 20 17:10:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 6:17 AM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 May 2013, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > > I've bumped the required Qt version to 5.2.0, which is what the dev
> > > branch happens to identify itself as currently.
> >
> > Thanks :-)
>
> Back again...
>
> After having completely refreshed my Qt5 a few days ago, today I tried to
> build kdelibs against it.
>
> CMake now complains that my Qt is too old, still 5.1 while 5.2 is required
> now.
> Good so far, just bad luck for me that I updated Qt apparently just a little
> bit too early.
>
> So, back here:
> http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Building
> and do "git pull" as recommended:
> ~/src/qt5$ git pull
> Current branch stable is up to date.
> ~/src/qt5$
>
> Hmm, wrong branch ?
> I checked out "stable" branch, as the wiki page recommended from May 12th to
> May 20th, because "init-repository script is broken in the dev branch".
>
> I don't want to mess up my qt clone again.
>
> So, do I simply do "git checkout dev", and that's it, also for all submodules

I went through this yesterday, yep, that's what you have to do, though
it's not simple. First you have to google how to delete git submodules
(a non-trivial operation) so you can get rid of the non-existent
webkit-examples-and-demos repo. And then go into each module git fetch
origin; git checkout -b dev origin/dev.

It is a ridiculous situation. Ideally someone would just update the
'dev' branch manually while the CI system is flailing around.

Ian