Finalized proposal for i18n in KF5, second iteration

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun May 19 22:08:36 UTC 2013

> [: Oswald Buddenhagen, 2013-04-06 :]
> the .h file postprocessing in \subsubsection link_ui is a gross hack, and
> i don't see any plausible reason why this should not be fixed in uic
> instead.

I agree, but I saw it done like this so far in
kdelibs/cmake/modules/kde4uic.cmake (lines 44-55), and I didn't feel like
designing uic support right now. For example, one could add a single option
for "ki18n support" (which I think would be too specific), or maybe an
option to include extra headers plus an option not to emit empty-string
messages. And then maybe one should also consider the non-i18n related
modifications performed in kde4uic.cmake.

> both the api and the docs still refer to catalogs in many places. while it
> may make sense to keep talking about catalogs when referring specifically
> to files, i have the impression that the use is not entirely consistent.

That was indeed fuzzy, and confusing me at few places, so now I hopefully
made a proper separation between the two terms. E.g. all API call names now
contain "domain" instead of "catalog".

> style issues:

Fixed (this time really).

The updated versions and diffs to previous:

  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-03/html/prg_guide.html
  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-03/klocalizedstring.h
  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-03/kuitmarkup.h

  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-03/ki18n_doc-02-to-03.diff
  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-03/klocalizedstring-02-to-03.diff
  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-03/kuitmarkup-02-to-03.diff

(Diffs with -w, not to clutter with fixes in whitespace style.)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)