Plasma2 porting & framework-scratch branches

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed May 1 23:22:08 UTC 2013

Hi Alex,

On Wednesday, May 01, 2013 19:45:02 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 May 2013, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Since we're running out of components to port in plasma-frameworks
> > (*cough*), this seems like a useful point to focus our porting in
> > non-random branches. Therefore, I've created frameworks-scratch branches
> > in which we can merge our ported Plasma bits and pieces. They're pretty
> > bare-bones right now, only installing a few Plasma packages.
> >
> > The following repositories now have frameworks-scratch branches:
> >
> > * kde-workspace
> > * kdeplasma-addons
> > * kdeexamples
> >
> > There's some serious CMakeLists.txt cleanup needed, but it basically
> > should
> > build / install for you, at least the few things that are actually already
>
> Actually I'd prefer if there would be more progress within frameworks
> before  porting stuff to frameworks as it is now.
> Since months nothing new has been moved into tier1/ and tier2/.
> We also still have libkdeqtstaging/.

Yes, there's still a huge amount of work to do in kdelibs, that's certainly
among the problems we need to think about and solve.

Plasma is in a bit of a special position though, since:

- it's the part which needs the most changes (moves to scenegraph, QtQuick2,
  Wayland), so there's huge amounts of work to do there as well. I'm currently
  updating our todo list, so how much exactly that is, we'll get to know then

- We have some critical bits in other repositories, that we can not split out
  yet and import into plasma-framework (and neither do we want to). We need
  those pieces to work on Plasma 2. Some of those I have already ported a few
  weeks back, this change basically cuts down the build system in a way so I
  can actually install these pieces (among which all kinds of tests, and the
  desktop containments and toolboxes) using cmake.

I'm not asking everybody to port their Plasma code to Plasma2, but I still
need to have a sane way to port some bits as I need them. If you look at the
changes, it's quite the minimal way to make it at least installable on Plasma
2, and that, too will need more work.

So, in both areas we probably won't get bored for quite a while. ;)

Cheers,
--
sebas