KTabWidget task

David Gil Oliva davidgiloliva at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 22:48:26 UTC 2013

Hi!

Before implementing setTabBarHidden(bool) and isTabBarHidden() from
KTabWidget to QTabWidget, I have made a little program (you can find it
attached, rename its extension to .tar.gz) to test whether these methods
are really necessary.

2013/3/24 David Faure <faure at kde.org>

> On Sunday 24 March 2013 00:28:02 David Gil Oliva wrote:
>

> (...)
>
> > TODO: QTabWidget: give the possibility to hide the tabbar (used in many
> > places if count is 0). Preferably called setTabBarHidden(bool) /
> > isTabBarHidden() (then deprecate ktabwidget).
>
> Hmm, having another look at the implementation of
> KTabWidget::setTabBarHidden,
> this method is really only tabBar()->setVisible(bool), plus showing/hiding
> corner widgets if any. But that means in the common case it's already just
> one
> method call. I thought this was about automatically hiding the tabbar if
> there's only 0 or 1 tabs, but apparently it's not, it's lower-level than
> that.
>
> OK in konqueror for instance there are two corner widgets (new tab and
> close
> tab), so there the convenience method is useful. Let's ask lxr.kde.org....
> OK,
> same in akregator, kleopatra, ksystemlog, kdenlive. I guess that's enough
> arguments for getting it into Qt.
>
> Other apps, like krdc, powerdevil kcm, kftpgrabber, use the method, but
> don't
> have corner widgets, so tabBar()->setVisible(bool) would be enough.
>
> The reason I'm telling you all this is that it might be useful in the Qt
> review request, to convince Qt developers of the usefulness of the
> convenience
> method :)

The point is that it seems that the main purpose of setTabBarHidden(bool)
is to get corner widgets also hidden. But corner widget also get hidden
with QTabWidget::tabBar->hide(bool), as can be seen with the little program
I've made, and therefore, as far as I can tell, the exact same result can
be achieved with both methods.

This makes it much harder to defend the implementation of the
hiding-related KTabWidget methods into QTabWidget.

What do you think about it?

David Gil
www.hackingastrology.net