KIconThemes/KWidgets dependencies (Was. Re: KF5 Update Meeting Minutes 2013-w2)

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Jun 10 14:31:02 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Wednesday 05 June 2013 18:19:52 David Faure wrote:
> We had an interesting discussion on two dependency issues.
>
> 1) kiconthemes currently depends on kwidgets only because of the
> KGlobalSettings signal emitted when the user changes the icon size for a
> given icon group. This prevents kwidgets from depending on kiconthemes
> (which would need so that kpagedialog can move there).

It's OK and intended that KWidgets doesn't depend on KIconThemes. In fact
kpage* is not even a good reason to introduce such a dependency. One can use a
style pixelMetric() call for the size.

> We discussed a solution: the handling of a dbus signal should be done
> directly in KIconLoader (which already has a C++ signal about this to
> notify the apps), and then the dependency can be dropped. The code in
> kglobalsettings can stay for compat (or could be ported to the new signal,
> so that the icons kcm doesn't have to emit both...). Aleix Pol is working
> on this.

Handling for such a signal should probably be done somewhere else. I admit I'm
not 100% sure where... at the same time the immediate change of the icon size
in this widget, I wouldn't shed a tear if it's lost: is there anyone changing
this size from the default, and often? I don't think so.

> 2) the kdeui crumble task list says "move kicondialog to kiconthemes". Since
> it uses klistwidgetsearchline it has to depend on itemviews, so this
> doesn't seem great, it will add dependencies to kiconthemes, which I see as
> tier1 (same for itemviews). I suggested moving it to kwidgets instead.
> Which is another reason for item 1 above (kiconthemes shouldn't depend on
> kwidgets, then). So, postponed for now, until item 1 is done.

I disagree there, KIconThemes is perfectly fine in higher tiers IMO. It mostly
provide workspace integration features (wouldn't make sense on Windows for
instance), and these frameworks are fine in high tiers.
If it ends up in a lower tier all the better, but no effort should be spent
trying to force it down.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net