Bad rpath/LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings in kdelibs build scripts?

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Wed Jun 5 09:08:21 UTC 2013

On 04/06/13 23:01, David Faure wrote:
> Hm, but why doesn't it work then? I see builddir/libkdeqt5staging/src in both
> the RPATH and the RUNPATH, and one of these has priority over the env var, no?
> I must be confused about how they work, then.

https://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2011/10/28/rpath-and-runpath/ suggests
that RPATH is only used if RUNPATH is not set.  --enable-new-dtags sets
both, which (with a modern loader) seems to mean that it behaves as if
only RUNPATH is set (I guess the RPATH is a backwards-compatibility
measure).

The ideal solution would probably be to set RPATH at build-time and only
set RUNPATH at install-time, but (from what I've read) it doesn't seem
possible to patch in the value like that (and we'd have to re-link
instead).  I may be wrong about that, though.

Failing that, at least having the option to unset --enable-new-dtags may
be useful for developers (although, of course, overriding runpaths with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH may *also* be useful to developers).

Alex