Revising changing configurations with KConfig

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Jul 31 15:40:21 UTC 2013

Hi,
As you might know, I've spent some time figuring out what's left to do to
dump KGlobalSettings. I thought it was almost over, but not yet. There's a
bool naturalSorting property that resists.

It's a full-fledged with a getter, a changed signal and no setter (because
it's only done in one place and the implementor decided to leave it just
there and emit from the kcm code).

If we look at how KGlobalSettings work, it's apparent to me that it was a
place where to dump this kind of things. I guess it's quite obvious that
there's a generic use case that we're not fulfilling because of a technical
limitation of KConfig and we have to implement it ourselves.

I've been thinking about how I'd like this to work, and I'd like to propose
a small addition in the kconfig_compiler so that we can tell a property to
advertise itself through dbus (like we were already doing in
KGlobalSettings, but automatically).

This would add a slightly weird behavior since we're not used to installing
kcfg files and we'd need it in those cases, but I think it can be worth it.
An alternative would be to properly separate the .cpp and the .h files and
install header files but this would mean requiring installing libraries and
different kind of problems such as ABI.

Any thoughts? Did I miss any obvious feature that defeats the point?
Aleix