cmake problems in KDELibs4Config

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jul 24 23:09:44 UTC 2013

Hi Alex,

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 22:27:46 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 July 2013, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > What to do...
> >
> > So, kde4support depends on a lot of stuff in kdelibs.
> > Some libs in kdelibs still depend on kde4support (at least last week this
> > still was the case). That's why kde4support is still not installed
> > separately.
> >
> > So the KDE4Attic targets needs to exist before KDELibs4 is searched.
> >
> > > Adding KDE4Attic to the KF5 modules doesn't help, what to do?
> >
> > What exactly did you do ?

I added KDE4Attic in the find_package(KF5... call in plasma-
framework/CMakeLists.txt). That yields a "can't find KDE4Attic.

> > If you add KDE4Attic to the list of known frameworks in
> > extra-cmake-modules, and add it to the find_package(KF5 .... ) call as a
> > needed component, it should work.
>
> No, won't work.
> kde4support depends on kde4attic, kde4attic depends e.g. on kdeui and
> kdecore. So there are cyclic dependencies.
> The kde4attic targets must not yet be exported into a separate file, but
> must  still stay in the KDE4LibraryTargets.cmake file.

I don't see where and how to add it there, tried a few combinations, but I'm
very much in the dark how these things work (your explanations help a bit, so
thanks for that!), and what exactly I need to add, in which order, making it
quite cumbersome (and so far without success).

I understand that I should change CreateKDELibsDependenciesFile.cmake then, to
include KDE4_kde4attic? You say the KDE4Attic files must not be exported, I do
have cmake/KDE4Attic installed along with all the other frameworks, so that's
wrong then? OTOH, if it's not installed, plasma-framework/CMakeLists.txt will
not be able to find it. (And if it's installed, it's still not found -- that's
probably what you're hinting at.)

People *really* need to build also plasma-framework before committing such
changes to kdelibs[frameworks]. At this point, I'm spending half of my time
just picking up build breakage from others. I'm having a really hard time
catching up, plasma-framework hasn't built once, this entire week, and it's
blocking people from contributing.

> The attached dot file shows the dependencies of the KDE4Attic library.
> You can generate such files by running cmake on a configured build dir:
> $ cmake --graphviz=kdelibs.dot  .

Thanks for your help so far,
--
sebas