naturalCompare Qt5 task

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Jul 19 12:15:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was looking at that task in the Qt5 epics list and I didn't understand
> it fully.
>
> contribute natural-comparison to Qt5 (see KStringHandler). In Qt there is
> naturalCompare function but private and not as good as from KStringHandler.
> Thiago says: add the feature to QCollator.
>
> Here's the problems I see:
> - I don't know what's the goal of the task, so it's hard for me to decide
> what to do.
> - The one Qt5 has now, it's in QFileSystemModel
> - QCollator is also a private class, do we need to have it available from
> the public API? I guess the only use of it is in any tier1 module. If so,
> why QCollator?
> - In the code we have in KStringHandler we can find this comment:
> // This is based on the natural sort order code code by Martin Pool
> // http://sourcefrog.net/projects/natsort/
> // Martin Pool agreed to license this under LGPL or GPL.
>
> I don't feel very comfortable with moving this code over to the Qt project.
>
> Aleix

Hi,
So after talking a bit with wojtask9.

Apparently the thing is that our itemviews module needs
KStringHandler::naturalCompare, and we want it to be tier1 (thus can't
depend on KCoreAddons).

Additionally, he showed me this review [1] that suggests moving QCollator
to public API. This solves the 3rd point. I guess that then we can add a
public naturalCompare function in QCollator for easy natural comparison.

For the moment, I'll update the explanation and release the task since
there's little we can do with a private QCollator.

Aleix

[1] https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,50372