Qt 5 (Re: [kdelibs/frameworks] kdeui/tests: Remove QEXPECT_FAIL for MR 43915)

David Faure faure+bluesystems at kde.org
Mon Jan 14 13:37:49 UTC 2013

On Sunday 13 January 2013 14:21:05 Jon Severinsson wrote:
> I was under the impression that dropping Qt4 support was in favour of Qt5
> released tarballs, eg that we would support both latest 5.0.x and 5.1-git
> (currently dev, eventually stable) for a while (ie until 5.1.0-rc1). I'm
> currently running stable with manual merges from release btw.

When I discussed it with Kévin, he made me realize that this would mean quite
some trouble to support both versions, for no good purpose.
E.g. we won't be able to use all the stuff that I'm working on putting into 5.1
-- or only optionally, which means no cutting of dependencies, so we'll still
be somewhat stuck like we are right now, on some aspects.

If one compiles his own Qt 5, one might as well compile the dev branch.

On top of that, the version numbers being equal between stable and dev in Qt5
right now makes it in fact impossible to use ifdefs to differenciate them :)

> > So I asked that build.kde.org tracks dev.
>
> Sounds reasonable for the mid term (once dev starts accepting 5.2 features
> it should probably track stable instead)

Yes.

> but for now it should preferably
> track some private tree in which you manually merge the release (and
> stable) submodule heads that are referenced in qt5.git.

Not sure I follow that.

I think we should just track qt5.git "dev".

Right now it's missing a few bugfixes (like the MR in this thread), but I just
solved that (with a big ifdef that disables that test until the dev branch is
called 5.1). At the current stage of KF5 development, we need the newest API
more than we need the newest bugfixes...