Finalized proposal for changes to i18n in KF5

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Jan 5 17:19:58 UTC 2013

On Friday, 2013-01-04, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> random ramblings:
>
> i don't like the recommendation for extracted vs. disambiguating
> comments (and closed-source authors will typically do the exact opposite
> anyway).

The opposite thing as in only having comments and not caring at all about
ambiguity and that it makes the translations of their software suck?

If so, why should we care? We offer the options of doing it better and have
recommendations based on more than a decade of large scale i18n.

Is there any reason at all other than lazy programmers to even have i18n
functions that are not i18nc variants (i.e. require a comment)?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring