K_EXPORT_PLUGIN

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Feb 26 13:29:22 UTC 2013

On Monday, February 25, 2013 17:38:09 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> in kexportplugin.h there is this:
>
> #pragma message("K_EXPORT_PLUGIN is defined as a hack here, for compat. Port
> to new plugin system (QT_PLUGIN_METADATA) instead.")
>
> this was introduced in the first revision of this file (58606a42).
>
> i haven't been able to find any useful information online about this
> QT_PLUGIN_METADATA thing. currently when compiling libplasma2 we get screen
> after screen of this message, and i 'd like to get rid of it.
>
> can somene point me in a useful direction? thanks.

>From my rather limited understanding:

The macro has changed, we're now supposed to use QT_PLUGIN_METADATA, which
defines that "class of plugin" you're writing. This macro moves into the class
itself (usually along with the Q_OBJECT macro). You can specify a json file
with additional metadata with it, but that's optional.

The Plasma declarative imports use this already, it seems to work fine and is
maybe a little easier than the previous solution, but you're right, it's not
really well-documented so far, and there are not a lof of examples. I found
out mainly be grepping through the Qt sources. For example, I've no idea how
to add additional plugin types, or how to apply this knowledge to other plugin
types.

Hope that helps a bit ... (or at least triggers someone to rectify with more
reliable / complete information ;)) ?

Cheers,
--
sebas