kde4_create_manpage and translations

David Faure faure+bluesystems at kde.org
Sat Feb 23 14:20:31 UTC 2013

This cmake macro converts docbook to man pages. It depends on kdoctools
though, so it creates an unwanted dependency, for low-level frameworks.

Do we have to use docbook as the source for man pages? I presume this was done
to ease translations... but I wonder, how other projects outside KDE handle
this? Surely man pages can be translated directly, provided the correct
scripting around gettext?

To make clear what we're talking about:

checkXML/man-checkXML.1.docbook
kbuildsycoca5/man-kbuildsycoca5.8.docbook
kconfig_compiler/man-kconfig_compiler.1.docbook
kcookiejar4/man-kcookiejar4.8.docbook
kde5-config/man-kde5-config.1.docbook
kded5/man-kded5.8.docbook
kdeinit5/man-kdeinit5.8.docbook
kdeoptions/man-kdeoptions.7.docbook
kjscmd/man-kjscmd.1.docbook
kjs/man-kjs.1.docbook
kross/man-kross.1.docbook
makekdewidgets/man-makekdewidgets.1.docbook
meinproc4/man-meinproc4.8.docbook
preparetips/man-preparetips.1.docbook
qtoptions/man-qtoptions.7.docbook

This is all about man pages, not about docbook->html for user documentation in
khelpcenter.

I tried looking into other source packages (for user-facing binaries, not libs
which usually have english-only man pages anyway), but lame-3.98.4 has an
english-only man page too.
Looking at Qt's tools for inspiration: I see no man pages for uic, moc, etc.
Hmm. And the man-pages-fr package has very very little binaries: only ldd, and
time in man1. I wonder if there's really a point in a KDE solution for
translated man pages, when nobody else is doing it...

There's of course one solution to keep the current docbook sources: moving
them all into the (future) kdoctools framework. Not very modular, but solves
the dependency issue.