libexec (Re: "kde5" or "kf5" ?)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Feb 22 17:45:45 UTC 2013

On Friday 22 February 2013, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 21 February 2013 22:01:30 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Why not have a KF5DIRS variable ?
>
> You keep thinking "KDE4, renamed" :-)
>
> Think of KF5 as standalone libs on top of Qt. Do you currently have to set
> a QCADIRS to use QCA, and a ATTICADIRS to use attica, and a SOPRANODIRS to
> use soprano? No, because:
> * executables are found using $PATH
> * libs are found using $LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and fallbacks)
> * plugins are found using $QT_PLUGIN_PATH
> * data files are found using $XDG_DATA_DIRS
> * global config files are found using $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

So when I install kf5 libs to /opt/kf5-my-stuff/, I have to set
QT_PLUGIN_PATH, XDG_DATA_DIRS, XDG_CONFIG_DIRS (and potentially PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to make the libraries work (if they have runtime
dependencies), instead of setting only KF5DIRS=/opt/kf5-my-stuff/ , i.e. only
one variable, and where I only need to know the install prefix, and not all
the details ?

Or, if KF5DIRS is no option, can we make it so that the build-time install
location is checked first, so that a simple "make install" will lead to a
working installation ?

Alex