Move kde-config to kde4support.

David Faure faure+bluesystems at kde.org
Fri Feb 22 10:24:52 UTC 2013

On Thursday 21 February 2013 11:55:37 Alex Merry wrote:
> On 21/02/13 11:24, David Faure wrote:
> > For others on the list: I agree that a pure-Qt tool will be useful too,
> > but it won't give us "--prefix, the prefix where KF5 was installed", for
> > instance. And kf5-config is useful for compatibility (easier porting from
> > scripts that use kde4-config). So let's have both (and at that point, we
> > can deprecate the parts of kf5-config which are superseded by the pure-Qt
> > tool).
>
> Is the intention to require all KF5 libraries to be installed to the
> same location?  If not, exactly what will "kf5-config --prefix" return?

Good point. It will return the location where kde4support is installed :-)
I see it as a "past looking" tool for compatibility, not as a correct kf5
solution (which is why it's in kde4support). If everyone thinks it should just
be removed, I won't defend it too much, but do think about the myriad of
existing scripts out there. For the most common case (prefix=/usr) it will
still be useful.
IMHO -- let's revisit the topic once there's an alternative (a Qt-based tool).

> Incidentally, if we install pkg-config files, "pkg-config
> --variable=prefix k18n" or similar should provide this...

pkgconfig files are for developers, they might not be installed for end users.