Separating everything ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Feb 9 13:44:14 UTC 2013

On Saturday 09 February 2013, Martin Sandsmark wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 05:39:29PM +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > IMO this is very much not a black-and-white situation.
> > It is not "leave everything in one huge blob as it is now" vs. "put every
> > tiny library in its separate repository", there are steps in between.
>
> Well, if you need to use git submodules anyways to automatically check out
> all modules, why does the number of repositories matter?

Our git-documentation is still... underwhelming at best.
I won't write it, I am anything but a git expert, and I have enough other
things to do.

> > I for one would prefer if we stay with a moderate number of repositories.
> > khtml e.g. is big, this should be separate (will it actually still exist
> > ?). I would guess the "solutions" each deserve a separate repository.
>
> What do you consider big? KHTML is "only" 13MB, and Solid is 2.2MB, is that
> also big?

I didn't check the sizes. khtml takes long to build, so I'd assume it's one of
the bigger ones.

> > convenience, to build them all in one go.
> > If you simply run cmake there, nothing is built, you have to explicitely
> > enable the libs you want to build, and there are not dependencies between
> > them, so this is simple and straightforward.
> > Those together are still small, fast to download, and easy to package
> > separately.
>
> Is there any reason this superbuild directory could not be in a "top-level"
> repository, with the other modules as git sub-modules?

No, it just needs to be done.
And basically it does the same as kdesrc-build, so it's maybe not necessary.
This is now just for me to make it easy to build the separated libs in kdelibs
separately.

> > I don't see an advantage in splitting such things into separate
> > repositories.
>
> Well, it would be more consistent, instead of having some modules as
> separate directories and some bundled together.
>
> It also makes the repositories you need to check out to fix something
> smaller. Just checking out a 5MB repository can be a royal PITA in some
> situations, fast and stable internet access isn't available everywhere.

Seriously, is this really any issue ?
How often do you checkout from scratch, and that in places where you have slow
internet ?
Or is this just a git limitation, that we can't update just in subdirs ?

Alex