Separating everything ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Feb 7 20:11:02 UTC 2013

On Thursday 07 February 2013, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Thursday 7 February 2013 16:09:51 Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> > Is there anything obvious that I'm overlooking? One could argue that
> > separate repositories make it easier for non-KDE people to contribute
> > to one particular framework.
>
> It's not only contributing but also using. It's almost more important IMO
> (especially since more users mean more contributors).
>
> > But if each framework inside the kdelibs repository can easily be built
> > separately, this point looks moot to me, and it cannot justify making the
> > build and debug process more painful for the (probably rather common)
> > case that a person wants to build and use all of KDE frameworks.
>
> Well, as you pointed out the build part is not more painful with proper
> tools (and kdesrc-build is getting quite good there). As for the
> debugging... well you have already quite some repositories today, I don't
> think it's making it worse (I doubt we want everything in a single
> repository just to be able to git bisect anyway :-)).

I for one, loved to be able to do svn up in KDE/ and get everything, without
having to use additional tools.
We have kdesrc-build, Qt5 has qt5_tool, gnome has some similar tool, IMO this
is getting quite confusing.

Building and packaging separately is nice, but having to fetch from multiple
repositories sucks.
It would be nice if there was some built-in solution in git.

Alex