KJavaAppletWidget's usage of KWindowSystem

David Faure faure+bluesystems at kde.org
Sat Feb 2 12:05:15 UTC 2013

On Friday 01 February 2013 13:12:54 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> * I don't know of any web page still using Java Applets

khtml/java/tests/good_sites has a long list.

http://www.h-online.com/security/services/Java-747799.html indeed works here
(with Webkit, and somewhat with KHTML -- slower, and not always on the first
try, reloading is necessary).

I tried removing the doNotManage() call, and...
that makes the applets appear as standalone windows in the topleft corner of
the desktop, temporarily, until they get merged into the browser window.

In all cases, Alt+Tab shows strange "KJAS Applet" entries, mapped to rects in
the topleft corner, but I can't switch to these windows, they don't appear in
the taskbar, and I can't even find which process to kill in order to get rid of
that... (Alt+Tab still shows that after closing konqueror).

Webkit doesn't need such a WM hack, so indeed there must be another way, but I
have no idea about the technical details behind java applets.