RFC: Top level git repository for all 57 Frameworks repositories

nerdopolis bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net
Mon Dec 23 13:16:59 UTC 2013

Hi.
In my opinion the Frameworks split into 57 repositories could make it harder to for users to create build scripts around KDE Frameworks 5.
I can see why it had to be done, I heard it's so that they can be on separate release cycles.

There is a way to unify these Frameworks while keeping them in separate GIT repositories, using Git submodules.

I suggest a top-level repository, that uses has all 57 of the Frameworks repositories linked in with Git submodules.
QT5 already has a similar solution, and better describes what I mean:
https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt5
They have multiple components in separate repositories, but they have one repository that lets users build all of them as one, as all of the separate components are tracked together with Git submodules.

I created a proof of concept repository to test this idea with KDE Frameworks. I copied out some of the CMake files from the original kdelibs, and I linked the each of the frameworks to the appropriate folders with Git submodules.

With only a few modifications in my build script, pretty much just changing the repository URL, and branch, and changing the way it handles submodules, I was able to fully build all of the Frameworks in the separate repositories.

I created it here, hopefully it will be of use to someone, or maybe even merged on Quickgit if it's good enough
https://github.com/n3rdopolis/kf5