Framework metadata

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Fri Dec 20 19:39:21 UTC 2013

Le vendredi 20 décembre 2013 14:15:33 Aurélien Gâteau a écrit :
> Mandatory files for a framework:
>
> # README
>
> Formatted in Markdown. Contains a high level overview of the framework and
> links to:
> - mailing list
> - IRC channel
> - git repo
> - bugtracker
> - reviewboard
>
> # INSTALL
>
> Formatted in Markdown. Contains generic install instructions, following Alex
> Merry suggestion, except if the framework requires specific settings.
>
> # COPYING.*
>
> Classic license files
>
> # $framework.yaml
>
> Anything necessary for kf5dot to generate the dependency diagrams. Yes it is
> YAML, not JSON, for the reasons I outlined before.
>
> I expect this file to be as simple as:
>
> 	tier: 3
> 	type: integration
>
> kf5dot requires at least the "tier" information but I may add other things,
> like "hidden" dependencies not caught by cmake graphviz (ex: kded dependency
> on kinit, or kdnssd optional dependency on kconfig).

I started to work on this, with one minor change: the README is named
README.md, to reflect its type.

I created $framework.yaml file for all frameworks, and updated kf5dot to make
use of it (hackish for now). You can find updated dependency diagrams at:

	http://agateau.com/tmp/kf5

I created placeholders for the missing README.md and renamed/reformatted
existing ones. Writing README for 57 frameworks is quite a big task though, so
I could use some help :). I started a wiki page to track progress:

https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/KF5.0_Release_Preparation/Necessary_Files

Some are marked as "in progress" meaning that I converted an existing README
but its content needs to be completed or refreshed (for example the kinit one
mentions Makefile.am files...)

Most of the "done" one contain really little content, so review/improvements
are welcome.

Aurélien

Shameless plug: You may find my mdview tool handy to get a live preview of
your README.md file while editing it: https://github.com/agateau/mdview