Let's get in release mode!

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Dec 14 19:30:14 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

Now we're really getting there! Epics and review board are clean, thanks to
everyone who helped to get there. Now it's the time to go for the last push.
For that I opened what will be the last epic for the 5.0 release:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/KF5.0_Release_Preparation

As you can see it is split in two, one part for the tech preview, the second
part for what will be needed for a final release. I urge everyone to focus on
the tech preview tasks for now. Don't hesitate to give a hand to the people I
put in contact for those tasks.

Obviously splitting the repositories will likely come first as it was the
focus for the past efforts.

In particular please help Ben with the transition to the split repositories by
first not pushing stuff (although if he prevents pushes in the first place
you'll be the ones with patches to port ;)) and second by extensively testing
the repositories once they are online. We might need several tries to get them
ready, so pay attention to Ben's communication as he'll obviously coordinate
that with his sysadmin super powers.

Once the technology preview is tagged, then all attention will be needed on
the remaining tasks to get a final release. This list looks suspiciously short
to me (although some tasks are in fact rather large), so either we're in a
good position already or I missed some stuff... The later being the most
probable don't hesitate to add more to the list if you see fit. This list of
tasks is basically our disguised definition of done for KF 5.0. If we get all
the tasks done we should be able to release right away.

After the technology preview we'll switch to a time based release for alphas
and betas. We still have to decide on a frequency (I'm leaning toward every
two weeks). It will be a good exercise to find issues in our release process
and fix them before 5.0 final.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net