ki18n and KUIT

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Mon Dec 2 19:28:53 UTC 2013

> [: Aurélien Gâteau :]
> Diving in, I found out the i18n*() functions no longer handle KUIT markup.
> There are new functions called xi18n*() which do so. [...] That is when I
> realized it is quite a lot of work to go through all translations and
> check whether they use KUIT or not. Should we actually recommend
> developers to do a blind "i18n" => "xi18n" search & replace to get
> started?

Now I realize I forgot to mention the script resolve_kuit.py, located in
kde-dev-scripts. This script can be used do one of three things: resolve
KUIT markup (e.g. <para> to <p> or \n; default mode), keep KUIT markup and
switch i18n to xi18n calls only on messages that have some KUIT markup
(using -x option), or switch all i18n to xi18n (using -X option). It handles
all the non-basic cases, as well as .ui, .rc, and .kcfg files; it can be run
with one argument, the root directory of the piece of code, to update
everything inside.

Which of these three update types to use, should normally depend on the
maintainer of the code. In the other case, "I go around fixing whatever is
funky", personally by default I'd apply no-option variant (resolve KUIT),
unless I observe significant KUIT use (as it seems for Dr. Konqi), when -X.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)