ki18n and KUIT

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Mon Dec 2 16:17:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

While debugging a crash in a unit test, I noticed the KUIT markup in
the
text in the DrKonqi dialog was not interpreted (see attached
screenshot)

Diving in, I found out the i18n*() functions no longer handle KUIT
markup. There are new functions called xi18n*() which do so.

I documented this in KDE5PORTING.html and then proceeded to port
DrKonqi
to use xi18n(). That is when I realized it is quite a lot of work to go
through all translations and check whether they use KUIT or not. Should
we actually recommend developers to do a blind "i18n" => "xi18n" search
& replace to get started?

I am also worried about translatable texts defined in .ui files: right
now the tr2i18n() function which is used to translate strings coming
from .ui files is calling ki18nc() or ki18n(), meaning there is no way
to use KUIT within .ui files. Should we change tr2i18n() to call
kxi18nc() and kxi18n() instead?

Aurélien