Cherry picking SMB changes from kde-runtime master to frameworks. Err...

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 02:25:08 UTC 2013

Hi,

I don't even know if cherry picking is the right approach so it might
be better if i explain what i want to do. You, git gurus, surely can
share how i need to get there, right? :)

In recent months Dawit (in cc) has added quite some nice optimizations
to the SMB kioslave. He' done with those changes now so i'd like to
pull those into the frameworks branch and update my porting patch to
get that slave working on Qt5/KF5.

The question is: What is the best way to get those changes from master
to frameworks? You can easily see the changes by checking out the
master branch (kde-runtime) and typing:
git log --stat b21dc0a.. kioslave/smb/

@Dawit, are those all the changes you made? Or did you also do
something related but outside the smb folder?

Getting those changes in frameworks or some custom branch is what kept
me busy for a while. Playing with rebasing, interactive rebasing,
cherry picking.. nothing worked well. Not surprisingly since this is
way above my git knowledge. I ended up killing my branch and
re-cloning it :)

I'm sure other people can do this very easily, but i'd like to see the
commands you would use for this task and some description why you used
them. Helps me understand it.

Cheers,
Mark