K_PLUGIN_FACTORY changes explained

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Aug 30 12:11:59 UTC 2013

On Friday 23 August 2013 14:21:02 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've written a somewhat lengthy and detailed article about the changes to
> our plugin system:
>
> http://vizzzion.org/blog/2013/08/kde-frameworks-5-plugin-factory-guts/
>
> Thought it might be interesting for many people here. :)

Good writeup, thanks.
You could link to it from KDE5PORTING.html?

One thing it doesn't detail (because you didn't directly work on that) is
differences in where plugins get installed (the install dir changed), and how
they are found ($QT_PLUGIN_PATH).

And one of the porting ideas is: if you don't need the trader to find your
plugins, don't use it anymore. E.g. if you can put all your plugins into a
subdir of the plugin dir, and you don't need any filtering (you just want to
load them all), iterate over that, no servicetype and no trader needed.
We still have to solve the use case of filtering/querying though, ideally in
Qt (so that the json metadata can actually be useful).