Questions on module splitting

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Aug 27 17:03:56 UTC 2013

Hi,
I've started looking into splitting KUnitConversion, there's some things
I'd like to discuss:

- There's some weird constructions
regarding KDE_PLATFORM_FEATURE_BINARY_COMPATIBLE_FEATURE_REDUCTION.
Especially a trade off between depending on QtNetwork or using kioclient to
download a specific file (see currency.cpp). I'd suggest to have only one
code path, and I'd say using QtNetwork can be the best, especially since
the dependency on kio is at runtime.

- Currently there's a directory called kunitconversion/src/kunitconversion
that contains all the files. To me it would make more sense to have
everything within kunitconversion/src. I would have changed it if it wasn't
because there's also Solid with solid/src/solid, and it's marked as Done.
Anybody has any insight about this? It doesn't seem to follow [1].

- About i18n calls, it says something like we shouldn't be using i18n()
when depending on Ki18n. What should we use then? i18nc()?

- Also it talks about:
Document all dependencies in CMakeList between frameworks (example in kauth)

I've looked into KAuth and I don't see what's different from other
submodules. Does it mean that target_link_libraries() calls are well made?
find_package()?

Cheers!
Aleix

[1]