Smart D-Ptr in KCoreAddons

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Fri Aug 23 08:49:00 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-22, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:
> We had some discussions on plasma-devel regarding the use of a smart non-
> inherited D-Pointer[1] and Kevin proposed moving the pointer into KCoreAddons.
> The only listed downside of including it into plasma is that it is too low
> level and generic to belong to that framework (Sebas).

I honestly don't see what it actually brings us over using
QScopedPointer. It gives safety and convenience - and they are actually
also spiffy.

We have a tool already shared with the rest of the Qt community. Why
increase the entry barrier?

oh. and I think it also looks a bit like your d-ptr gets in the way when
you need a d-ptr hierachy.

So, unfortunately a thumbs down from here, but I do think it is a
interesting experiment.

/Sune