Updating CMake requirement to 2.8.12 RC 1

Kevin Ottens ervin+bluesystems at kde.org
Wed Aug 21 08:16:59 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 11:00:56 Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:
> On 20 August 2013 23:47, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> On 21 August 2013 09:40, Kevin Ottens <ervin+bluesystems at kde.org> wrote:
> > The crux of the issue is:
> > Is there anyone building kdelibs-frameworks and/or plasma-framework
> > without
> > using the kdesrc-build based procedure described on the wiki?
> > http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Building
> >
> > Because the proposed setup pulls cmake master anyway.
>
> because we use kdesrc-build, this doesn't mean that all of us compile cmake
> from sources.

That's the theory. I'm trying to gauge in practice what the actual people
working on kdelibs-frameworks and plasma-framework are doing. If you follow
the wiki page I referred to earlier you already build cmake from sources for
the kf5 work.

Or did you mean that you're not using the kdesrc-build setup of that page?
That'd actually be useful feedback for me in that discussion. I'm trying to
get a sample set of who doesn't follow the content of the building page.

> > I think that he meant getting a wider tester base,
>
> In KDE4, only released versions of the cmake are required and cmake is
> working.
> Why does this have to change in KF5?

In KDE4, only released versions of Qt are required and Qt is working.
Why does this have to change in KF5? :-)

The reasons are the same for both really, cmake and Qt are our two main
upstreams. If we'd wait for Qt 5.2 to be released we'd get nothing done on the
splitting front (so we use qt5.git as a sync point).
I admit it's less critical for cmake and extra-cmake-modules (which you use
unreleased versions of without noticing BTW). Note we don't even talk about
using a random snapshot though 2.8.12-rc1 is a released version.

> On 20 August 2013 23:33, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > CMake 2.8.12 RC 1 was released a few hours ago:
> >  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.user/47443
> >
> > Updating to that will allow us to get on the home straight with regard to
> > our buildsystem files.
> >
> > For example, we can easily set the INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES of the
> > targets we export. We can do that with a simple patch to
>
> > INSTALL_TARGETS_DEFAULT_ARGS in ecm:
> why we can't just wait until cmake 2.8.12 will be released? Until now we
> didn't have those features, why is it so urgent to use them right now? If we
> wait until cmake 2.8.12 will be released those new features will be added to
> KF5 and nobody will be *forced* to use an unreleased version of cmake.

I think the idea is to give lead time to get the cmake in order for splitting
without going through variables as an intermediate step. I'd like to avoid
variables instead of direct targets as an end game, so going through variables
as an intermediate state looks like unneeded rework to me.

Now the prep work could be done in a branch until 2.8.12 is out if that's not
too far in the future (long lived branches being expensive to maintain). Alex,
Stephen, any idea about that?

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net