Updating CMake requirement to 2.8.12 RC 1

Kevin Ottens ervin+bluesystems at kde.org
Wed Aug 21 06:40:43 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Tuesday 20 August 2013 23:23:30 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 August 2013, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > please wait with updating the required version until 2.8.12 final is
> > > out.
> > > There have been complaints about requiring unreleased versions of cmake,
> > > e.g. by Aaron.
> >
> > The objections from Aaron were based partly on misunderstanding.
> >
> >  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.frameworks/2339/focus=2357
> >
> > For example, he complained about a 'dated snapshot', which I fixed in
> > kdelibs.git with commit f1e6b8e67fe5071 (Add a better error message about
> > the required CMake version., 2013-04-30).
> >
> >  https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/f1e6b8
> >
> > 67fe5071a19e9ad5b8ed8ee93fa26fc4c/diff/CMakeLists.txt
> >
> > Additionally, I my recommendation is not to bump the required version with
> > each release candidate made available, only this first one, and then the
> > final.

The crux of the issue is:
Is there anyone building kdelibs-frameworks and/or plasma-framework without
using the kdesrc-build based procedure described on the wiki?
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Building

Because the proposed setup pulls cmake master anyway. So our contributor base
will soon meet the requirements as they trigger their next build... It's much
more automatic than the last time in that regard, we put the effort in that.

> > I also stand by the utility of bumping the requirement for the purpose of
> > finding bugs. Otherwise 2.8.12 might be entirely unsuitable for
> > frameworks.
>
> You know that stuff can be tested without committing changes which force
> everybody to update immediately to the main branch ?
> I've been doing that for years.

I think that he meant getting a wider tester base, which in our case means
updating to the main branch if I'm not mistaken. In a separate branch or using
a knob you get a much smaller set of testers.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net