Updating CMake requirement to 2.8.12 RC 1

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 21:03:14 UTC 2013

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 20 August 2013, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> CMake 2.8.12 RC 1 was released a few hours ago:
>>
>>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.user/47443
>>
>> Updating to that will allow us to get on the home straight with regard to
>> our buildsystem files.
>
> please wait with updating the required version until 2.8.12 final is out.
> There have been complaints about requiring unreleased versions of cmake,
> e.g. by Aaron.

The objections from Aaron were based partly on misunderstanding.

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.frameworks/2339/focus=2357

For example, he complained about a 'dated snapshot', which I fixed in
kdelibs.git with commit f1e6b8e67fe5071 (Add a better error message about
the required CMake version., 2013-04-30).

 https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/f1e6b8e67fe5071a19e9ad5b8ed8ee93fa26fc4c/diff/CMakeLists.txt

Additionally, I my recommendation is not to bump the required version with
each release candidate made available, only this first one, and then the
final.

I also stand by the utility of bumping the requirement for the purpose of
finding bugs. Otherwise 2.8.12 might be entirely unsuitable for frameworks.
To repeat myself, actual bugs were found in 2.8.11 release candidates by
using it for frameworks.

So, the email from Alex does not change my recommendation at all.

Thanks,

Steve.